Scope of Services //

Building Permits

A building permit is required for new building construction, renovations, the installation of heating and cooling systems, or any plumbing or electrical work. Architectural plans are necessary, and project will need to go through standard review process by the Department of Buildings. A building permit is needed to make sure that the project you are constructing meets the minimum criteria of the Chicago Building Code. 

Public Way Permits

If your business has a sign, canopy, awning, bench, or anything that extends over, under or is on the public way, it requires a Public Way Use Permit (Grants of Privilege) issued by the Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP). The process to obtain the permit requires City Council approval.

Business License

The Small Business Center (SBC) issues business licenses and regulates the business activities of industries as diverse as retail, food and liquor establishments, entertainment venues and theaters, day care centers, manufacturing facilities and motor vehicle repair shops just to name a few. If you have not already registered your business with the appropriate county, state, and federal offices, please do so before applying for a business license.

Temporary Structures

Many times throughout the year, community and entertainment events rely on tents and other temporary structures for short-term shelter. The City of Chicago allows tents to be erected, but there are restrictions and requirements for these structures. Depending on the size of the structure, this may include receiving a permit.

Repair Replace Permits

If you are repairing existing elements on any buildings, you may be able to obtain a repair and replace permit. If your project requires architectural drawings, then you must get proper building permits and go through the Standard Plan Review. Repair Replace Permits are for the repair or replacement of existing non-structural building elements.

Sign Permits

All business identifiers such as signs, awnings, canopies and banners are required to have a Department of Buildings sign construction permit. Only a licensed sign contractor may apply to obtain a sign construction permit.

Certificate of Occupancy

After a Building permit is issued, the City of Chicago's Inspection's Department is required to sign off on the construction work. The General Contractor will be required to schedule the meetings with the necessary disciplines to review the work, and sign off prior to to receiving the certificate of occupancy.

Wireless Facilities

Cell phone company's are always looking for ways to improve their wireless networks. In order for them to be able to accomplish this they are required to erect antenna towers, add antennas to the existing tower or on a Building Rooftop. This process requires Structural plans & a Building permit.